- Duba Plains evokes the classic African safari style of the 1920s as a wildlife connoisseur’s getaway, with thousands of animals marching in an almost endless pattern across the flood plains.
- This property is top of class in Botswana, with incredible and exclusive landscape, beautiful interiors, and excellent guiding and service.
- Just 12 guests in six canvas tents, retains the charm of an authentic safari camp. Tents are raised off the ground on wooden decks giving stunning views across the floodplain.
- The preferred base for National Geographic film makers and renowned conservationists, Duba Plains Camp is among Botswana’s top safari lodges. Be sure to watch the National Geographic documentary, Relentless Enemies, before you arrive. The classic lion and buffalo footage was filmed at Duba.
- This photographic safari camp is constantly pushing the boundaries of conventional bush experiences. Prolific wildlife and an exceptional eye for detail make it memorable, but the camp’s pioneering efforts in conversation and community upliftment are what make the world of difference.
- Come here for your dose of canvas, cats, and complete seclusion. Truly off-the-grid, Duba Plains will scratch the safari itch for even the most avid explorers.
- Pour yourself a glass of wine, sit in the shade of your private veranda, and listen to the brilliant birdlife that surrounds you.
- Sundowners imbibed around a cosy bush campfire, strewn with harem pillows and cushions, illuminated by the gold sky.
- Watch the epic daily battle between the resident pride of lion and the herd of buffalo.
- Large plunge pool, perfect for relaxing in the heat of the day.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
Game drives (day & night) take place in some of Botswana’s best adapted vehicles. Duba Plain’s Toyota Land Cruisers are aptly named ‘Swamp Vehicles’ due to their extra-high suspension and absolutely huge tyres uniquely designed to traverse the floodplains for us. These are, of course, open-sided, canopied and customised for photographers (fold-down screens, raised roofs, photographic bars, multi-plug inverters). Seating only four to six guests on each vehicle, the Cruisers are fully stocked with drinks and snacks. Each tent has the latest Canon camera and lenses as a package for guests to use or try out. Images are downloaded and presented for them to take away at no additional charge. While the focus remains on the most comfortable times of day (early to mid-morning and late afternoon to evening) for drives, it is very common in Duba Plains to spend full days out in the field, having brunch delivered to the vehicles because the wildlife is so good and our focus is on finding and spending time with these extraordinary experiences. Our schedule is flexible and guests are encouraged to create their own itinerary according to their interests. Very often, our safaris will continue into the night in search of nocturnal species. Great Plains guides are also keen trackers and birders and guests are encouraged to experience everything the camp has to offer.
Another huge benefit of staying within the conservancies is the ability to appreciate the stunning landscape on foot, peacefully, without the noise of engines. Usually early morning or evening is the best time, as the middle of the day is too hot to venture out of the shade. Wear good walking shoes, a hat, and neutral coloured clothing so as not to alarm the wildlife, and take binoculars. Your guide will have water for you. Walks are led by licensed guides with firearm training.
Zipping through the Okavango Delta’s network of waterways is an invigorating way to get a sense of the scope of this huge wetland. You’ll undoubtedly have wonderful birding and maybe even some hippo, buffalo and elephant sightings. (Boating is a seasonal activity, typically between May and October but varies seasonally).
This is a great activity during mid-day siesta. Make sure you’re with a guide. During January and February there is a moratorium on fishing. Catch-and-release fishing only.
Duba Plains Camp offers a full syllabus of bush craft skills for our young explorers. This is a complimentary program that follows in the footsteps of National Geographic Explorers-in-Residence Dereck and Beverly Joubert. An extensive pack will be provided to eager children on arrival, so they can learn about animal calls, how to track wildlife, and other facts and figures about the wild. At the end of a child’s stay, he/she will become a Young Explorer and Conservation Ambassador – ready to go out and tell the world about what they have learned and what they too can do to help protect this beautiful environment.
Built on an island in the northern reaches of Botswana’s Okavango Delta, this intimate and remote tented camp is located within a 77, 000-acre private reserve that is generally only accessible by air. Surrounded by game-rich grasslands and seasonal floodplains, the camp has just five traditional tented suites as well as 2-bedroom suite perfect for families. The thousands of buffalo that inhabit this area are hunted by resident lion prides that are unusually active during the daytime. Duba lions are up to 15 percent larger than other lions and guests are able to observe this fascinating predator-prey interaction with kills witnessed fairly regularly during game drives.
This dynamic camp encourages guests to dictate their own game-viewing schedule. Some days you might want to spend hours following a single pride of lions and other days roam the plains after a large herd of red lechwe. Sumptuous picnics are packed for guests to take along on extended safaris and food can even be delivered to vehicles out in the bush so that an exhilarating lion hunt is not missed. Duba Plains Camp is ideal for serious game viewers and discerning families looking for an intimate, exclusive safari experience with a fairly good chance of witnessing lion-buffalo interactions.
The communal lodge is raised above the waters of the Delta on wooden stilts and is surrounded by tall trees that provide plenty of cooling shade. It is open sided too, providing breathtaking views. The lounge contains comfortable chairs and sofas around a coffee table, and adjoins the library, the indoor dining area, and the wine cellar too – the cellar boasts hundreds of bottles! There are also outdoor dining areas, and it is wonderful to enjoy a meal while marvelling at the Delta’s beautiful scenery. The lodge’s decking extends over the water to create a fantastic fire-pit space. This is the best place for gathering with fellow travellers and swapping your safari stories.
Guest accommodation at Duba Plains consists of five tented rooms and one two-bedroom suite. All are traditional in style, and positioned on raised railway sleeper decking. Inside each tent, there is a double bed or twin beds, a lounge area, a table and chair, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, twin washbasins, a bath, and indoor and outdoor showers. An environmentally friendly air conditioning system and ceiling fans are in place to keep you cool. The external decking incorporates a private veranda with rest area and plunge pool. Views over the floodplain are spectacular, and you can look out for the local wildlife too! The suite benefits from all the features of the tented rooms and an additional bedroom, and if you book this option you also have access to a private vehicle for game drives as well as a private butler and chef!
Duba Plains Camp Tent
The intimate camp consists of five traditional-style tents, all on raised decking, each with views of the surrounding floodplain and the steady stream of wildlife parading past. Each tent has a lounge area, with place to write and do your photographic downloads, as well as the opportunity for private dining in your tent. Each has a private verandah plus beautifully appointed en-suite facilities consisting of flush loo, double basins and indoor and outdoor showers and luxurious baths. Ceiling fans and careful design maintain comfortable climate for rest and relaxation. Guests can enjoy their own private plunge pool and outdoor under cover sala/day rest area.
Three delicious meals a day are provided, with flexible timings to suite your preferences. A well-stocked wine cellar allows you to choose from a few hundred hand-selected wines. Picnic breakfasts and lunches are frequently enjoyed due to active game drives, and are delivered to you at your location in the wilderness. Take dinners together with fellow guests or opt for private dining in your tent or in the dining area.
There is a large lounge, dining and bar area which are raised on wooden decks to better appreciate the breathtaking views. Within the main area guests will also find an office with computers, a tasteful curio shop and a chefs table.
The all-important sundowners are served out in the bush, and back at the tent, there’s a wine cellar with a few hundred bottles hand picked by the Jouberts, whose winemakers all support some kind of conservation or community effort.
Guest areas feature an inviting outdoor sitting area with a centered fireplace, a raised deck dining room under large riverine trees, where freshly-prepared and delicious meals are served, and a swimming pool that offers a cooling respite from the famed African sun.
All have their own large private deck with plunge pool, the perfect place to relax in between activitie