- This exceptional Relais & Chateaux boutique country hotel & eco retreat is set in the foothills of Mt. Etna with views of the Mediterranean Sea, and gracefully combines Sicilian elegance and wonderful grounds with laid back luxury and an ideal spot for adventurous Mt. Etna-excursions in Sicily.
- The restored 18th-century villa has 8 rooms and 19 suites. Monaci delle Terre Nere is one of 3 Eco-Bio certified hotels in Sicily and also has an 60-acre organic farm, a thriving vineyard and an organic vegetable garden.
- Locanda Nerello, serves an organic, zero-kilometer seasonal menu of Italian cuisine, and Etna is a more casual poolside eatery. Both are champions of the slow food movement, with menus that are determined by the daily harvest. The bar Convivium, in the villa’s former cellar, is a perfect corner to join the owners, Guido and Ada for wine & cocktail Happy Hour.
- Swim in sublime outdoor black lava-stone infinity pool overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, indulge in one of the holistic spa treatments, or a bike ride with the free bikes that are available.
- Enjoy our rich wine selection with the best Italian and foreign labels, through our wine tastings with an expert sommelier. The Etna region is the third most important wine producing area in Italy and Wine Spectator has put 3 of our Etna wines on the list of the 100 best Italian wines.
- Fine wine tasting on ancient vineyard trails, scenic coastal drives, cycling routes and the chance to tour Etna and the nearby volcanic islands by helicopter offer other memorable viewpoints of this singular landscape.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
The historic wine estate of Monaci delle Terre Nere is located on the slopes of Mount Etna, the largest active volcano in Europe. With dramatic views over the volcano and the Mediterranean, this countryside eco retreat is a very special place. Full of incredible charm and natural beauty, this spot was originally chosen by the monks of St Anne’s order in the 18th Century, and the estate was restored with great care. Explore the romantic, terraced gardens, stroll through the 25-hectare estate, visit the farm and vineyards, relax by the pretty pool, and discover its unique atmosphere for yourself. Luxurious rooms, suites and villas are scattered across the estate; inside the 18th century manor house, or in the gardens, orchards and vineyards. They are a mix of carefully-renovated historic farm houses, sustainably-built villas and suites.
Slow food, seasonality, and Sicilian-origins are the cornerstones of the cuisine at the restaurant Locanda Nerello. Choose between the scenic summer terrace overlooking the sea, or the cosy, fireside dining room, zero-km farm to fork cooking takes centre stage. Produce is sourced from our own organic farm and local suppliers. Live the memorable experience of a stay at our boutique hotel and and immerse yourself in the spirit of a place in true harmony with nature. Discover the unique flavours that only volcanic Mount Etna can offer, uncover the secrets of our precious wines with the expertise of our sommelier, and learn the culinary arts of the land from our chef. We produce our own wine with native varieties of the Etna region. Beyond the tranquil gardens of the estate, there is much to explore in Etna: from dramatic climbs, hikes and skiing to snorkeling, and the diverse cultures of Sicily’s towns.
Monaci delle Terre Nere offers guests a choice of different room, suite and villa options. Each is individually designed and has its own unique style, features and facilities. Designed thoughtfully for the best flow, space and light, as well as to enhance their original architecture and location. All rooms offer the comfort of a luxurious boutique hotel, surrounded by the natural landscape of Etna.
Rooms, suites and villas are scattered over the 25 hectares of the estate, either located inside the main 18th century manor house, or across the gardens, orchards and vineyards. They are a mix of carefully-renovated historic farm houses, or sustainably-built villas and suites. Each historic room is the result of a careful, restoration project aimed at conserving and celebrating original elements, such as exposed, wood-beamed ceilings and lava-stone walls.
This process has beautifully retained the features of the original structure and given a unique style to the interiors which mix traditional and contemporary designer furnishings, art and accessories.The newly-built rooms use local materials, and offer modern luxury, floor to ceiling windows and elegant spaces. The villas are private and extraordinarily comfortable: they are completely detached from the main building of the boutique hotel and they offer both total privacy and an enchanting view of Mount Etna, the vineyards and the sea. All the suites and villas on the estate combine informal luxury hospitality and a sense of intimacy, and can be reached by our golf cart or private car, though there is nothing more enchanting that following the scenic paths on foot.
Our Restaurant “Locanda Nerello”, set on the terrace during summer, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, and indoor during other seasons, reflects our Eco-Bio identity. Our commitment and efforts to create the experience you will have at Monaci starts from the table at our restaurant and from the work on our farm, where our products are grown to become part of our menu and our traditional cuisine, based on food seasonality.
We guarantee freshness and quality, without resorting to ready-made or processed meals as we only use fresh products. Our restaurant is the expression of our estate, where the dedication to the lands and the respect for the environment are combined with passion for food and for the territory, with the refined wines of Etna as protagonists.
Revive body and soul in harmony with nature, when you stay at Monaci delle Terre Nere. Slow down, breathe the sea air from the Mediterranean, feel the energy of the volcano, and eat healthy organic food that has been grown by respecting the rhythms of nature. Fresh produce and home-grown ingredients are carefully enhanced by expert hands in the kitchen to improve your wellbeing, inside and out. Monaci delle Terre Nere is the perfect place to reconnect with yourself and find your inner vitality. Transform your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing and find the ideal path to a new, healthy routine.
Monaci proposes various experiences available on the estate. Such as Aperitif, Wine and traditional cuisine courses, holistic massage, bike rides, etc. Monaci has spacious outdoors: wear your most comfortable shoes to walk easily through the fields and roads of the estate and better enjoy its sceneries. A nice and relaxing walk through our 25 hectares estate, visiting our farm, could help you appreciate this place. During your stay at Monaci, make sure you go on a tour around the estate, to fully understand Monaci’s identity and philosophy.
Mount Etna is the third most important wine producing area in Italy, for the great diversity of its land and its microclimates, and the extraordinary finesse of its wines. Taking advantage of the richness of Etna’s terroir, Monaci grows its own vines, with indigenous varieties of the Etna region, such as Nerello Mascalese (our restaurant Locanda Nerello is named after this variety) and Carricante, a wine grape variety which can be found only in the Etna region. Guests can enjoy our wine and a rich wine selection with the best Italian and foreign labels, through our wine tastings with an expert sommelier. The Etna region is the third most important wine producing area in Italy and Wine Spectator have put 3 of our Etna wines on the list of the 100 best Italian wines.
Monaci delle Terre Nere is perfectly located with views over the sea, the hills and mountains where so many ‘worlds’ meet. Beyond the grassy gardens and tranquil terraces of the estate, there is much to explore in and around Etna: from dramatic climbs, hikes and skiing to swimming and snorkelling, and the diverse cultures of Sicily’s towns and cities. Fine wine trails, scenic coastal drives, cycling routes and the chance to tour Etna and the nearby volcanic islands by helicopter offer other memorable viewpoints of this singular landscape. Our insightful guest relations team will help you plan the best activities for your stay.