- Lewa Wilderness is situated on the edge of one of Kenya’s most private game sanctuaries, the wildlife-rich Lewa Conservancy. Guests are accommodated in charming cottages which include spacious bedrooms, ensuite bathrooms, fireplaces and verandas.
- Guest areas include a cosy sitting room, an open-air dining area and a saltwater pool boasting breathtaking panoramas of the valley below.
- Adventures include game drives into the wildlife-rich Lewa Conservancy, camel riding, nature walks, horseriding, tennis and cultural visits to a nearby Maasai village.
- See how many activities you can fit into one day: Waco flying and horse-riding in the morning. A stop for lunch, a swim and a game of tennis. Then head out again on a game drive for sundowners with a view of Mount Kenya.
- Join an enlightening cultural excursion to a Maasai cultural homestead on Ngwesi, the neighbouring wildlife scheme that the lodge has helped to establish.
- Take a flight to Rutundu, a beautiful montane farm on Mt Kenya that offers superb trout fishing.
- Customized daily safaris will educate you on the area’s flora, fauna, animal behaviour, conservation and history.
- For avid birders ask your guide to take you on an early morning walk about the lodge garden to find the resident birds.
- Ask your guide to take you on a walk either along the river bed or for the more enthusiastic walkers a walk over the hills.
- Enjoy a camel back safari with your Masai guide.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
The advantage of being located in the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy is that guests are surrounded by rich game viewing opportunities without the crowds. There is a very good chance of seeing all of the “Big Five” and Lewa is one of the only game parks where visitors are almost guaranteed to see the endangered black and white rhinos while on safari. With the backdrop of snow-capped Mount Kenya and the diversity of scenery from open plains, rolling hills, valleys, escarpments and rivers, Lewa is a magical place to game drive for the ultimate Kenyan safari experience.
Guests are welcome to go for a walk with one of our trained Maasai guides to enjoy the environment from a different perspective. There is nothing more thrilling than watching rhino or elephant grazing in the morning light whilst you are on foot, or following the tracks of a leopard. Walks can be as easy or as hard as you like.
Walking Wild is a camel safari outfit based out of Lewa Wilderness. This venture offers guests the unique opportunity to explore by foot the remote valleys, hills and plains of both Lewa and neighbouring Maasai community conservation areas. Guests spend the days walking, whilst the camels and Maasai transport the camp, meeting up each evening for unforgettable nights camping out in the bush.
Riding one of the Lewa Wilderness horses allows you to enjoy the wildlife in its most natural form, without the sound of a car engine or the sight of a road – it’s truly quite a privilege. Many of our horses are used to carrying complete beginners enabling even first time riders to enjoy this unique experience. Ride right up next to animals such as giraffe, zebra, impala, waterbuck, eland, ostrich and baboons. Advanced riders are welcome to arrange a more challenging excursion.
An opportunity you won’t want to miss – to fly the wilds of Kenya. This is an experience you can’t find anywhere else in Africa. Fly in the open cockpit biplane with pilot, Will Craig. A former crop-dusting pilot, Will takes guests right above the treetops and weaves through gorges to show off the beauty of his homeland. The plane can take two passengers who accompany the pilot on a journey over forests, herds of game, and through ravines that are otherwise virtually inaccessible.
Situated near the base of Mt. Kenya – Africa’s second tallest mountain – Lewa Wilderness is one of Kenya’s oldest and most private safari ventures. The Craig family has passed down from one generation to the next a distinct passion for wildlife, conservation and tourism, and they proudly continue to run Lewa Wilderness lodge and Walking Wild camel safaris. This place is as much a home as it is a truly unique and personal safari experience. Lewa Wilderness sits within one of Kenya’s major private conservation success stories; the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy.
Lewa Wilderness is one of Kenya’s oldest private safari experiences and has been the Craig family home since 1972 where they proudly continue to entertain guests giving a truly unique and personal safari experience. Being the hub of all activities on Lewa, there is an endless list of activities on offer; owning East Africa’s only open cockpit biplane and a stable yard of horses suited to all levels of experience. Guest can also camel ride among the wildlife, game drive, take guided bush walks, visit the local community enhancement projects, and much more. Natural springs, home-raised livestock, and a 5-acre organic garden is the source of the healthy and delicious cuisine served against the backdrop of passing herds of wildlife.
The lodge has nine exclusive rooms: six thatched cottages tucked into the hillside overlooking Lewa’s Eastern Marania Valley, and three thatched garden cottages set in the beautiful green lawns. Each cottage is tastefully decorated with some of the Craig’s own antique and handmade furniture, giving each rustic charm and the character of a ranch homestead.
The Hillside Rooms
There are six individual hillside cottages, each with a unique layout. These cottages were built to capture the stunning views out over the valley and the sound of the river below where elephants, giraffe, rhino, zebra and more all come to drink. Each cottage has en-suite facilities, a cosy sitting area and fireplace, and a private outdoor verandah where one can enjoy a morning coffee whilst watching the sunrise.
The Garden Rooms
These are the original rooms built by David and Delia Craig when they started the lodge. They are the cottages closest to the main house and living areas, and each consists of two en-suite bedrooms joined by a comfortable sitting area with a bar and cosy fireplace. The garden rooms are perfect for families and also those who do not wish to be too far from the main areas.
Our dining room enjoys a fabulous view of the hillside opposite providing game viewing opportunities whilst tucking into delicious breakfast and lunch buffets. At night, guests gather around the long dining table to have a seated and served dinner listening to the sounds of the African night. Healthy and delicious meals are prepared with fresh produce from the lodge’s verdant organic garden.
Private dinners either in your cottage, on the pool deck, or out in the bush on request.
There is a refreshing salt-water swimming pool, the stables are full of horses for guests to ride, a small gym and the clay tennis court comes equipped with both racquets and balls. Lewa Wilderness offers guests the chance to explore the Conservancy on foot on on game drives and there are fantastic guides to bring the experience to life. Lewa also has expert chefs and a very friendly team of staff are waiting to look after you.
The stunning infinity pool is the perfect place to relax and unwind, read a book, sunbathe, and see what wildlife you can spot.
For those of you that like to keep fit, there is a gym, a tennis court and a table tennis table to keep you occupied.