- The only award winning lodge situated in the soul-stirring Skeleton Coast National Park with unique architecture, with all rooms designed to look like shipwrecks.
- This is a chance to explore a raw, rugged and impossibly remote slice of African wilderness.
- Stay in some of the most unique and dramatic accommodation on the continent- not many can say they’ve slept in a shipwreck after all!
- Spend a day exploring the dry riverbeds, starting with a sunrise breakfast overlooking the incredible landscape and ending with a climb to the top of the great roaring dunes.
- Learn about the history behind the dramatic shipwrecks that line the mist-enshrouded coastline.
- Look for tok-tokkie beetles and the unusual plants and lichens that survive in the cold fog that rolls off the ocean.
- Combine a stay with Hoanib Valley Camp and enjoy a one-of-a-kind transfer drive through the changing scenery and dramatic landscapes.
- A mix of ecosystems attracts varied wildlife – spot desert adapted lion, elephants, kudu and seals.
- 4×4 drives along the Hoarusib River, including the Clay Castles and the chance to spot some of the unique, desert-adapted wildlife.
- Flights over the coastline spotting whale bones. Discover the area’s mysterious past during visits to the dramatic Suiderkus and Karimona shipwrecks.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
Game drives within the Skeleton Coast National Park.
Sundowners and walks on the beach.
Quad biking (mornings only) and sand boarding across the dunes.
4×4 excursions to the Clay Castles, the Hoanib River Delta and the Mowe Bay seal colony, with stops at the Suiderkus and Karimona shipwrecks, Westies Diamond Mine and the remains of the Ventura Bomber.
Visits to the Suiderkus and Karimona shipwrecks.
4×4 drives along the Hoarusib River, including the Clay Castles and the chance to spot some of the unique, desert-adapted wildlife.
Uniquely designed around the enigmatic shipwrecks that line Namibia’s Skeleton Coast, there’s nowhere on the continent quite like Shipwreck Lodge. In fact, there’s nowhere on the continent quite like the Skeleton Coast. It’s a raw, rugged and impossibly remote slice of African wilderness, where towering dunes and wind-swept plains roll as far as the eye can see, buffeted by the icy Atlantic seas. Namibia’s remote Skeleton Coast is an otherworldly piece of African hinterland, a mysterious place where the enormous dunes of the planet’s oldest desert meet the roaring Atlantic Ocean to form one of the most dramatic coast lines in the world.
But there’s much more to the area than simple isolation. Stay at Shipwreck Lodge and game drive in search of desert-dwelling fauna; discover the enchanting desert flora (succulents and lichens); sit atop the dunes as the sun sinks below the horizon; spend the day beach-combing for whale bones and debris from centuries of shipwrecks; and marvel at the geologically-remarkable Clay Castles. Really, there’s nowhere like it on earth. Evoke your inner archaeologist while you discover bleached whale bones and the debris from centuries-old sea vessels that fell victim to the coastline’s shifting sandbanks, dense fog and perilous currents.
We felt it only fair that we build a camp to match the remarkable scenery of the Skeleton Coast, and each of the 10 rooms have been constructed to resemble the shipwrecks that line the beach. There are eight twin or double rooms, and two cabins can take extra beds if you’re bringing the kids, all ensuite and solar-powered. Well, apart from the wood burning stove but on the chilly evenings and mornings, it’s most definitely a welcome addition! In the centre of camp, you’ll find an equally as innovatively-designed lounge and restaurant with a wide, wraparound deck and uninterrupted views across the sand all the way to the Atlantic Ocean.
Each room has a shower, toilet and washbasin complimented with the necessary guest amenities. Each room also has a writing desk, bedside lamp and a wood burning stove.
Delicious and wholesome meals are prepared by the lodge’s professional chefs, and served in the restaurant.
The dining area and lounge, with unrestricted views of the Skeleton Coast, is the perfect place for a superb meal and enjoying drinks with fellow travellers. From the sheltered deck, watch the waves crashing onto the lonely beach and experience a surreal sense of being suspended in time as the mist curls in from the ocean, covering the dunes in white.
Designed to resemble the perplexing shipwrecks that scatter the Skeleton Coast, this lodge’s innovative cabins are solar powered and equipped with charging facilities. The uniquely designed main lounge and restaurant boast uninterrupted views of the tempestuous Atlantic Ocean. Each cabin is equipped with a wood-burning stove to keep you warm during the cool coastal nights.
Spend the day beach-combing for whale bones and debris from centuries of shipwrecks; and marvel at the geologically-remarkable Clay Castles. Really, there’s nowhere like it on earth.