- A beautifully designed boutique hotel with just five suites, on the Indian Ocean and three hours from Cape Town. This stunning location in a coastal nature reserve has some of the best shore-based whale watching in the world – including from the bedrooms, the restaurant and the bar.
- Typical Cape fynbos vegetation to one side and, on the other, perfect tall white sand dunes and the rolling blue Indian Ocean. The lodge is at the end of the ‘Whale Trail’ in a marine protected area that stretches three miles off the coast, and just below the hotel is one of the best shore-based whale watching spots in the world (southern right whales are almost constantly here from July to October).
- The hotel is run safari-lodge style: staff members connect closely with guests and activities are included. Lodge managers choose what to do each day according to season, weather and guests. Take a wildlife drive or a marine walk, chill at the beach or speed down the dunes on a sandboard, mountain bike or snorkel in large rockpools.
- Morukuru Beach lodge does not have to be taken exclusively and is perfect for couples or smaller families.
- From mid-July to November, you can sit on the balcony and watch as the Southern Right Whales migrate right past the house.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
The De Hoop Nature Reserve is one of the best place in Africa for land based whale watching. During the winter month (July – October) large numbers of Southern Righ whales enter the sheltered bay of this Marine Protected Reserve to give birth to their calves. Thanks to the location of Morukuru Beach Lodge so close to the beach it is possible to see the whales from your room already.
The amazing white sand dunes of the De Hoop Nature Reserve offer excellent opportunities for sand boarding.
The pristine coastline of the De Hoop Nature Reserve is protected by the Marine Reserve, which means no boating and no fishing is allowed. It is also not allowed to remove anything from the beaches. As a result the beaches and coastline offer a lot to discover during fascinating marine walks during low tide.
The De Hoop Nature Reserve is located just to the east of Cape Agulhas, which means that water temperatures are a few degrees warmer then Cape Town and Hermanus. The protected rock pools with shallow water warm up even further, making it possible to swim and snorkel safely.
Morukuru Beach Lodge is surrounded by Fynbos and sand dunes. Go and explore this fascinating landscape on foot and discover the many different plant species. Did you know this is one of the richest floral kingdoms in the world, with over 3000 different species.
Morukuru Beach Lodge is a new luxury boutique eco lodge, part of Morukuru Family De Hoop, situated at Koppie Alleen, approximately 1 km west from Morukuru Ocean House along the same pristine coastline of the De Hoop Nature Reserve. This stunning location in a coastal nature reserve has some of the best shore-based whale watching in the world – including from the bedrooms, the restaurant and the bar. Considered to be the ultimate place in South Africa to see southern right whales, De Hoop Nature Reserve also offers towering white sand dunes lapped by the Indian Ocean, limestone cliffs, rock pools and coastal fynbos. Morukuru Beach Lodge consists of 4 luxury Ocean View Suites and 1 Honeymoon Suite with views of the Indian Ocean and the surrounding sand dunes. Morukuru Beach Lodge is a sanctuary of refined comfort and luxury.
Morukuru Beach Lodge, unlike Ocean House, operates as a lodge (not exclusive-use only). Rooms at Morukuru Beach Lodge can be booked individually which makes this ideal for couples travelling, or smaller families. All meals and 2 guided activities daily (shared with the other guests), as well as soft drinks, are included in the rate.
The five very spacious rooms are the sort of place you could happily live for weeks. They have huge super-comfortable beds, vast French windows (with lovely creamy curtains) opening to a glass-balustraded balcony and views of the ocean (spot whales as you wake) – or, in one room, dune views and a private terrace. Each room, cooled by sea winds in summer, has its own wood-burning stove stoked up each evening in winter – a lovely touch. Bathrooms are larger than many hotel rooms, with unpolished light grey granite floors and open showers, and a free-standing bath.
The Honeymoon Suite (90 sqm) has floor to ceiling glass doors offering views of the surrounding fynbos covered dunes, as well as a partial view of the ocean. The room also has indoor and outdoor sitting areas, as well as a fireplace. The large outside deck features an outdoor bathtub and sun loungers. The en-suite bathroom offers separate bath and shower. The Honeymoon Suite can accommodate 2 adults + 1 child under 16 sharing with the parents.
Ocean View Suite
The 4 Ocean View suites (90 sqm each) all have large floor to ceiling glass doors offering beautiful ocean views. The rooms also have indoor and outdoor sitting areas, as well as fireplaces. The en-suite bathroom offers separate bath and shower. The 4 Ocean View Suites can each accommodate 2 adults + 1 child under 16 sharing with the parents.
Food and wine are sourced locally, with a commitment to organic, seasonal produce.
Morukuru Beach Lodge dining
Morukuru Beach Lodge offers both indoor and outdoor dining options. Our large dining room inside overlooks the sunken fire pit in front, as well as the white sand dunes and the Indian Ocean. At the back of the property in the sheltered courtyard we have an outdoor dining option as well, which we mainly use for lunches.
The open-plan restaurant doubles as a lounge at one end, with a circular fire and seating space that beckons for evening board games. There’s also an indoor lounge upstairs, with yet more spectacular sea views. South Africa’s wines form the staple of the drinks menu, along with a selection of beers and spirits. In warmer months, transport your drink to the oceanside outdoor seating area and firepit, or up to the first-floor roof terrace.
Take a wildlife drive or a marine walk, chill at the beach or speed down the dunes on a sandboard, mountain bike or snorkel in large rockpools. All kit is provided, including water shoes, toys, sunscreen, hiking sticks and ponchos (for when the weather turns). The lodge’s internal courtyard has a little swimming pool, sunbeds and hot tub. Wood-burning stoves and underfloor heating ensure a cosy welcome in winter.
There’s a heated pool in a sheltered courtyard that’s surrounded by sunloungers, parasols and a hot tub. Why should the whales have all the fun.