- With a name that translates as ‘Heart of the Selous’, it is fitting that Roho ya Selous does indeed lie at the heart of the photographic sector of the vast Selous Game Reserve. Set on a hill overlooking the Rufiji River, it is close to Lake Manze and Lake Nzerakera, an area considered to offer the best game viewing in the reserve.
- Set on a small peninsula overlooking the water, Roho ya Selous sits in the very heart of the Selous Game Reserve. Explore this vast wilderness, home to one of Africa’s largest populations of wild dog, with our expert safari guides.
- A newly-built, high-quality tented camp of the well-respected Asilia brand, Roho ya Selous offers eight stylish suites with a natural air-conditioning system as well as a private bathroom and a shady veranda.
- The camp enjoys incredible views out over the reserve and has good wildlife activity through the camp.
- Boat trips provide a slower paced safari experience while offering plenty of excellent photographic opportunities.
- The Selous offers excitement and adventure with distinct habitats such as swamps, beautiful lakes, open plains and rivers waiting to be discovered with expert guides.
- Roho ya Selous offers many different activities for everyone, including morning and afternoon game drives, walking safaris to discover the smaller creatures and track wildlife on foot.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
Best for exploring further afield and searching for larger mammals and predators, game drives are a rewarding option for your safari. Drives are enjoyed in a seven-seater, open-sided vehicle with tiered seating, every guest is assured of an uninterrupted view of the wildlife. The vehicle includes a roof for shade, power points for charging your devices, and fridges to keep your sundowner drinks deliciously cool.
Immerse yourself completely in the rugged environment of the Selous on a walking safari accompanied by an armed expert guide, taking in the smaller details and tracking wildlife on foot.
No safari in the Selous is complete without a trip out on the water, passing pods of hippo in the shallows and crocodiles sunning themselves on sandbanks. Watch wildlife come to drink from the ultimate perspective and enjoy drifting up close to bird colonies nesting in the riverbanks or on small islands.
Combine your boat safari with a bit of catch and release fishing, a relaxing way to spend an hour or so in the afternoon. The rivers are home to good populations of tigerfish as well as catfish.
Imagine going to sleep at night with only the sounds of the African bush around you, and the only lights are the stars overhead. Accompanied by an armed guide, you spend the afternoon on a walking safari as you make your way to the fly camp, a comfortable yet solo site in the bush. Fly camping may take you a little outside your comfort zone, but once you try it, you will be hooked. The fly camping tents are made from 100% mosquito net which means you’ll have a 360-degree view from inside, including the stars above. The sly camp also has a shared outside short-drop toilet and shower cubicle. Fly camping in Selous is only available between June and October during the dry season.
Sunsets on the Rufiji River are some of the most spectacular we have ever witnessed!
Roho ya Selous is situated in the very heart of the magnificent Selous game reserve. Perched on a hill overlooking the water, this small tented camp is the perfect place to spend a few days and discover the wonderful wildlife and contrasting landscapes. Roho ya Solous, meaning “the heart of the Selous” is due to open September 2017 and promises to offer memorable experiences for everyone who visits. Located in the heart of the Selous Game Reserve this small tented camp offers an intimate and authentic safari experience accommodating guests in just eight luxury canvas tents.
The Selous offers excitement and adventure with distinct habitats such as swamps, beautiful lakes, open plains and rivers waiting to be discovered with expert guides. While the reserve is home to a diverse spread of wildlife such as buffalo, lions and hippos, The Selous is also famed for its large wild dog populations that thrive here. These rare predators are highly intelligent and it is astonishing to see them in action when hunting their prey, covering vast distances in packs and not giving up until they have achieved there undertaking.
The real magic of the Selous lies in the variety each day on safari brings. Whether you’re exploring on a game drive in search of leopard lurking in the shady boughs of a fig tree, or out on foot tracking wildlife that’s ventured close to camp during the night, this reserve is full of surprises. With just eight canvas tented rooms, each with air-cooling systems over your bed to ensure a peaceful night’s sleep in the hotter months, Roho ya Selous strikes the perfect balance between comfort and adventure.
Roho ya Selous’ eight tents are tucked away into the trees and set far apart to maximise privacy. They are stylish and spacious, measuring an impressive 60m² inside. Thoughtful details include an evening breeze cooling system over the bed to allow you to sleep peacefully even during the hotter months, and an en-suite bathroom complete with indoor and outdoor shower. Twin and triple configurations are also available on request.
The family tent is the same size as the double tents but is spacious enough to accommodate a family of five – the footprint of the tents is 60m² inside. The main bedroom is a more compact version of that of the double tents, with an evening breeze cooling system over the bed, fan, reed walls, and slate floors. There is a main bathroom with a flush toilet and outdoor shower. The children’s room has a shower and basin, and has a bunk bed and single bed, accommodating up to three children. Due to the layout, the beds in the children’s room do not have evening breeze cooling system.
Dinner is prepared in camp by Roho ya Selous’ chefs and it always comprises three courses. Breakfast is a buffet meal, so you can choose whether to have a light meal or a fully cooked bonanza! Lunch is a buffet affair too, usually including lots of fresh vegetables and salads. There’s also tea and cake at 4 in the afternoon. Chefs are able to accommodate all special diets, with a little advance notice.
All of our meals are prepared in camp by our resident chefs, and are usually enjoyed communally. Light buffet-style lunches in camp include fresh salads and vegetables with your main course. Tea and cake at 4pm are a camp tradition and set you up for your afternoon safari, and dinner is a relaxed three-course affair, often served under the African night sky.
Breakfast is served buffet-style so you can choose from a lighter start to your day or a full cooked breakfast if you’ve worked up an appetite on your early morning safari.
The team at Roho exemplifies genuine warmth. Service is friendly but attentive and on safari, guides are full of fascinating wildlife facts and anecdotes. On game drives, keep your eyes peeled for the elusive wild dogs and on boat trips, don’t dip your hand in the lake – it’s swarming with crocodiles. Walking safaris focus on nature’s smaller creatures and plants, and fly camping in zany mosquito-net cube ‘tents’ is available from June to October. A small swimming pool lies discreetly around the corner from the dining area and is particularly welcome on hot, sticky days.
Infinity pool and communal areas built around them and accessed by wooden walkways.