- From its lakefront location to the ecofriendly design of the eight fabulous cottages, the camp offers unrivaled access to this one-of-a-kind destination, where elephant roam wild, colourful birds and butterflies flit through the pristine indigenous rainforest and the waters teem with hippo, crocodile and the iconic Nile perch.
- As the only camp on the island, Rubondo Island Camp offers a true escape into the wilderness.
- Track the wild chimpanzees that inhabit the island.
- Sleep out in the treehouse for a night surrounded by the sounds of the forest.
- The perfect spot for someone in search of a completely unique holiday experience.
- Try and catch one of the legendary Nile perch fish and break the current record of 105 kg.
- Unique island wilderness experience in Africa’s largest island national park.
- A birder’s nirvana: outstanding variety of species in a pristine subtropical rainforest & Great for fishing with exceptional guides, boating safaris, nature walks & wetland excursions.
- Unique opportunity to be part of a pioneering chimpanzee habituation experience.
- Rubondo Island Lodge is possibly one of the most unique lodges in Africa.
- The camp is situated on the shores of Lake Victoria and has eight luxury bandas, all of which have a spectacular view over the lake.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
Asilia’s expert wilderness guides take guests out on daily game drives by boat or in open vehicles. These excursions take in the exceptional scenery, diverse vegetation, and prolific bird and insect life.
Guided walks through the lush equatorial forest can stretch from a one-hour stroll to full-day or even multi-day hikes, incorporating a stay in the exclusive tree house or a fly camp on the beach.
More challenging and lengthier hikes are available for the keen adventurers.
Discover the hidden corners of the island and spot the varied aquatic life from the boat and try to catch a glimpse of the hippos, otters and monitor lizards in the water.
Rubondo Island is a 25 000 hectare exclusive utopia in the south-western corner of Lake Victoria. Half Jurassic Park, half rainforest, Rubondo Island is the most unexpected adventure destination in Africa. Families of 4 with children of 5 years and over can stay in a charming hand-built cottage tucked away amongst leafy trees. Forest walks, game and bird watching, trekking through wild chimp territory and fishing for huge Nile Perch is the order of every day in this unique wonderland.
Head out through the foliage with your trekkers and guide to seek out the island’s resident wild chimpanzees and learn more about how they came to be on the island and the ongoing habituation process that is currently taking place. Although the chimps are slowly becoming adjusted to the presence of humans, sightings cannot be guaranteed.
Rubondo Island offers some of the best fishing in East Africa and is renowned worldwide among anglers for the standard of the fishing guides and the opportunity to catch one of Africa’s biggest and most sought-after freshwater species – the Nile perch. Catch-and-release fishing can be done from the camp, by boat, on the beach, or from the rocky shore.
With over 300 endemic and migratory bird species, Rubondo Island is an ornithologist’s dream. December to March is best for spotting migratory birds, but with the varied habitat of the island, there is something new to record all year round.
Rubondo Island Lodge is possibly one of the most unique lodges in Africa. Situated in the south-western corner of Lake Victoria it is an adventure seekers paradise in a one-of-a-kind destination, offering a mix of wildlife and lake-based activities. Rubondo Island is the largest island national park in Africa and the 25,000 hectares that make up the island are all but untouched by man. Rubondo Island Lodge is perfect for anyone looking for a safari with a difference. It is a lakefront escape which offers a unique array of exciting activities without compromising on luxury.
Rubondo is an island national park meaning guests have unprecedented access to explore the island to their heart’s content. Activities include forest walks, canoe trips, wild chimpanzee trekking and fishing for the iconic Nile Perch fish. The island is a bird watcher’s paradise with over 200 recorded endemic and migratory species inhabiting the island. The camp is situated on the shores of Lake Victoria and has eight luxury bandas, all of which have a spectacular view over the lake.
Rubondo Island Camp has eight luxury bandas which are a fusion of permanent structures and canvas tented rooms. Each room has spectacular views of the lake and are closed off by mesh and canvas. All bathrooms have a bath and the honeymoon suite has a romantic outdoor shower. There is also a family suite which has two bedrooms and a living area. Finally there is a treehouse, with a large four poster bed with mosquito nets, comfy chairs and a bathroom with a copper rolltop bath. A sleepout here is a magical and romantic experience, with sundowner drinks and a private picnic dinner, and waking to enjoy the sun rise over the island.
Rubondo Island Camp features eight large waterfront chalets, surrounded by rolling green lawns that open onto the beachy shores of Lake Victoria. Guests can enjoy the sounds of the forest and the view of the world’s second largest lake while relaxing on the verandah of their chalets. Each chalet has a king-sized bed, enclosed by mosquito nets, and an en-suite bathroom including a flush toilet and running hot water. Shampoo, soap, conditioner, shower and body lotion and flip-flops for the sandy shores are provided for all guests.
The family cottage at Rubondo Island Camp features a king-sized bed, with doubles or singles available on request for the 2nd room. The chalet has an en-suite bathroom including a flush toilet and hot, running water, and is within easy reach of the main camp area, and pool. The verandah offers comfy seating and superb views of the surrounding forest and Lake Victoria.
The bar and restaurant area is set within a rocky outcrop overlooking the lake where you can witness the most spectacular sunsets. Cool off in the pool after a morning of activities and try to catch a glimpse of the crocodiles and hippo in the lake below you.
In the dining area, smart timber tables are flanked by well-cushioned wooden chairs. Throughout the lodge there are a lot of plants, contributing to the al fresco feeling. There’s a deck too, which is perfect for outdoor dining. The chef specialises in home-style cooking, rustling up all sorts of breads, biscuits, cakes, and sorbets. Lunch is provided buffet style, and dinners are served on the shores of the lake – usually after drinks around a convivial campfire!
The lounge features plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables, as well as floor lamps, rugs, and a few books and games.
Infinity pool and communal areas built around them and accessed by wooden walkways.