- Chilo Gorge is a luxury safari lodge on the edge of the stunning wilderness of Gonarezhou National Park, in South-East Zimbabwe. We offer guests access to the pristine wilderness of Gonarezhou, with the authentic animal interaction which goes with a park which is rarely visited.
- The only luxury lodge in the area, Chilo is a magical place with a long history of working closely with local communities just outside the little-visited but beautiful Gonarezhou National Park. Perched high above the Save River, it has spectacular views across the gorge with hippos, elephants and crocs bathing below.
- Suspended on the red sandstone cliffs of Chilo Gorge carved out by the Save River and just outside Gonarezhou’s north-eastern boundaries, this safari lodge is the best in the region and run by the award-winning conservationist pioneer, Clive Stockil.
- The main lodge commands phenomenal views over the gorge and river, as do many of the private chalets, and is an authentic structure made from timber, stone and a thick thatch roof for keeping the place cool during the day.
- Apart from the daily game drives and animal tracking, guided walks, trips to the Chilojo Cliffs, waterfalls and local towns, Chilo can also arrange nights in a special mobile tented camp in the park for you.
EXCLUSIVE LUXE VOYAGER VIP BENEFITS & BEST PRICE
We negotiate rates & benefits for our clients directly with the hotels’ senior management. Our rates match or in many cases are lower than the best online rate for the property. Our clients also enjoy a suite of extra VIP privileges and recognition while staying at a partner hotel.
- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival.
- Daily complimentary buffet breakfast for two.
- Up to $100 dining or spa credit per stay, and or in-house dining / spa discounts.
- Welcome amenities (wine/chocolates/fruit) and card from the GM.
- Complimentary private airport transfers.
- Complimentary roll-away bed if required.
- Early check-in and late check-out.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Enhanced recognition through VIP status at all touch points in the guest experience.
A complete or partial suite of VIP benefits will be offered, subject to the property T&C, including availability, category of room & length of stay.
Activities include game drives (day and night) by qualified and passionate guides who will share their knowledge and love of the bush with you. The open land cruisers will accommodate six passengers on tiered seating so that views are not blocked and photographic opportunities are enhanced. Each of our vehicles are fitted with permanent canvas roofing to protect you from the varying weather elements, whilst still allowing an optimised up close and personal experience of wildlife. Guests who have booked a private vehicle can request for the roofing to be removed in advance of their safari.
Activities include guided walks lead by qualified guides. We believe that there is much more to an African safari than being driven around in a vehicle while passively viewing animals. In combining the ultimate itinerary with an expert guide, we create the complete journey, where experiences, knowledge and passions are shared and whereby a standard Safari is transformed into an extra-ordinary one.
Hwange National Park is known to be one of the highest diversities of wildlife and bird-life species more than any other National Park in Southern Africa. Here are up to over 470 birdlife species in the area.
The African Bush Camps Foundation is committed to empowering rural communities. We partner with communities on the outskirts of wildlife areas to become economically sustainable whilst ensuring that natural resources are protected and cared for. We also support local schools and run education programmes for children in communities. We invite guests who stay with us at our camps in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe to take a cultural tour of the nearby villages that we work with. This helps travellers gain a deeper understanding of the country they are visiting and its people. As extraordinary as a safari is, these tours allows you to engage with Africa and its rich cultural heritage. If you are interested in adding perspective and value to your safari, speak to our reservations team to pre-arrange a village visit whilst on safari.
Perched on a rocky outcrop above the Save River on the north eastern boundary of Gonarezhou National Park in Zimbabwe, Chilo Gorge offers spectacular views of animals in their natural habitat. As well as the main lodge and its 10 sleeping lodges, Chilo Gorge also comes with a self-catering camp Nhambo. Inside is a lounge, library, bar and dining room, all surrounded by beautiful gardens. The views from the lodge are spectacular, as the Save River draws animals in to drink. At the front of the lodge is a large outdoor pool, and the patio makes a great place for dinner under the stars. Food is homely and comforting at Chilo Gorge, using plenty of fresh, local ingredients with a full bar including cocktails on offer. The dining area has views across the river, and is lit with candles in the evening.
There are ten chalet rooms or lodges at Chilo Gorge, each with a lovely private balcony with a river view. The all-inclusive luxury rooms sleep two, with an en suite bathroom and complimentary toiletries. A private balcony and seating area offer views over the river. All rooms are furnished in a local Shangaan style and equipped with mosquito netting, tea and coffee making facilities, a safe and a mini-bar. An option for families is the two luxury rooms with an extended interconnecting balcony. An excellent team of guides, led by senior guide and Chilo Gorge founding father, Clive Stockil offer game drives and walks, usually taken within Gonarezhou National Park and including trips to visit the Chilojo Cliffs.